The Club has origins dating back to 1923 when they were known as “Cutter Stars”, playing friendlies with teams in the Ivybridge district. However, Portals Athletic was formed in 1926 under the chairmanship of Mr Marsden, a Mill Manager, entering the Eastern Section of the United Churches League, which was the origin of the Plymouth Combination League (this league later amalgamated with the Plymouth and District League to become the Plymouth and District Combination League).
In 1929 there were 42 football clubs in 3 sections in the Plymouth and District United Churches Football League and by 1938 this had grown to 66 teams. At the time it was thought that through football, young men would learn self-discipline and camaraderie and many it was documented, as a result of the league’s association, became staunch members of the church.
The team’s first success was in 1931-32 when they were runners-up in the league to South West Tar Distilleries. In the season 1934-35 the team went one better and won the league.
Image: Striker Ronald Barnes in action.