Farming has provided a livelihood for many families in and around Ivybridge for generations. With extracts from ‘A History of Filham Ugborough’ by Alec Rogers, a local farmer, and using some of his personal diary entries, we review rural life in Ivybridge from the 1930s onwards.
Alec Rogers, originally from Holbeton, moved to the hamlet of Filham on the outskirts of Ivybridge with his father, mother and brother John in 1928. The family had taken over Filham Farm. Alec at school age when they arrived, would continue to farm the land until the 1970s when his mobility deteriorated.