The tradition of sending primroses to Wiggins Teape customers dates back over 100 years. The Managing Director of the Hele Paper Co Ltd near Exeter (not then a member of the WT Group) had a custom of picking a few early primroses from the hedges around the mill to send to his mother living in Hendon.
This pleasant custom caught on and was adopted by the company. When in 1919 Hele Mill was bought by Wiggins Teape the distribution continued. By the 1960s the primrose distribution was handled by Stowford Paper Mill, with thousands of boxes of primroses sent all over the country.
Two bunches of 50 primroses, each with 5 leaves, were packed in plastic lined boxes at the Congregation Church Hall in Ivybridge, ready for distribution to all Wiggins Teape clients.