The first Post Office in Ivybridge (around 1830) was located at the coaching inn, the Rogers Arms (later the Ivybridge Hotel) on Western Road, where Grosvenor Court is situated today. Four mail coaches called each day at this important staging post on the Plymouth to London road. Stops to collect mail were short. The Plymouth to Exeter coach took around 3½ hours whilst the whole journey to London took around 22 hours. There were change-over points for fresh horses located at Chudleigh, Ashburton and Ivybridge. The Post Office later moved to the more central location of Fore Street.
With the rising population and improved adult literacy, the 19th century saw a rapid increase in letter writing and the sending of greetings cards. Mail distribution was greatly improved through the development of the railway network and Sir Rowland Hill introduced reforms to the postal system with a uniform rate of postage regardless of distance, the Penny Post.