News from 1918 Sept to Oct

Excerpts taken from the Ivybridge Parish Magazine from 1918 give an insight to life in Ivybridge exactly 100 years ago

News from 1918 Sept to Oct

Excerpts taken from the Ivybridge Parish Magazine from 1918 give an insight to life in Ivybridge exactly 100 years ago

September

September

Band of Hope

Members had a most successful picnic on Monday, July 29th, at Pitt Hill; Miss Luscombe (Hon. Sec.) and Mrs Coyte made all the arrangements most ably; and we are most grateful to Mr Wyatt, of Pitt Hill Farm, for all the kind help he gave in providing and looking after all the hot water arrangements.

 

The Band of Hope was founded in 1847 with the objective to teach children the importance and principles of sobriety and teetotalism. Meetings were held in churches throughout the UK and included Christian teaching.

 

Set up in an era when alcoholic drinks were generally viewed as a necessity of life, next only to food and water, the Band of Hope and other temperance organisations fought to counteract the influence of pubs and brewers, with the specific intention of rescuing ‘unfortunates’ whose lives had been blighted by drink and teach complete abstinence.
Source: Wikipedia

A Post of the Comrades of the Great War

This has been formed locally. Colonel Orlebar is Captain of the Post, and Mr J.W. Gard, Windsor Cottage, is Hon. Sec. The objects of the organisation are: – (1) To watch and safeguard the interests of all ex-members of the Forces, and to take such steps as are necessary to protect them now, and during and after demobilisation; (2) To press the claims of discharged sailors and soldiers; (3) To help discharged men to State and public employment; (4) To promote the welfare of the women and children left by those who have fallen. The Secretary is willing and eager to give advice to any widow or dependent of our fallen comrades, or to any discharged man on any matter. All communications should be addressed to the Hon. Secretary, Mr J. W. Gard, Windsor Cottage, Ivybridge.

 

The Comrades of The Great War were formed in 1917 as a non-political association to represent the rights of ex-service men and women who had served or had been discharged from service during The Great War 1914-1918. Comrades of The Great War was one of the original four ex-service associations that amalgamated on Sunday 15 May 1921 to form The British Legion.

The 4th Anniversary

The 4th Anniversary of the entry of our country into the war was well observed in Ivybridge as a day of Remembrance and Prayer. There were splendid congregations at all services in the parish church. After Evensong almost the whole congregation, led by the Vicar, Choir, and Boy Scouts, walked in procession, singing a Litany of Penitence, to the park for a united open-air service. A huge crowd assembled; prayers were offered by Mr Lucas (Wesleyan) and the Rev. J. Jameson (Congregational); Mr Harrison read the lesson; and the Vicar gave an address. Three hymns were most heartily and reverently sung during the service, at the end of which the Vicar gave the Blessing, and the National Anthem was sung. An impressive service indeed, in which our unity in prayer, always we believe a real thing, though unseen, was made clearly visible.

 

The 4th Anniversary of the declaration of war was held on 4th August 1918 with Ivybridge, like so many towns and villages up and down the land, holding a Day of Remembrance. A joint open-air service involving C of E, Wesleyans and Congregationalists was held in Victoria Park.  A Special Service of Thanksgiving was also held at Montreuil, in France, the General Headquarters of the Army.

Roll of Honour

Our deepest sympathy is with the mother and relatives of Cephas Hurrell, who had died in India from malaria. R.I.P. It is good news indeed that A. Hart, some time since reported missing, is a prisoner in Germany; he is wounded – a broken arm, but writes in cheerful mood. G. Willis has been invalided. E. Williams has been very ill in Ireland. Sydney Piper is in Hospital in France, owing to a serious accident. Bertram Maher and Trevor Withycombe have been wounded, the latter but very slightly, not a “Blighty.”

 

We are all familiar with the term ‘Blighty’ used as slang term for Britain, especially by soldiers during the World Wars, but it is also a slang term for a wound or furlough (leave of absence) suffered by a soldier during the First World War, sufficiently serious enough to warrant return home to Britain.

Boy Scouts – 1st Ivybridge Troop

It is good to know that the Scout movement has been revived – first of all about ten months ago by a few keen Parish Church boys, and four months ago as a general movement for the village, with which the original Scouts were incorporated. The Troop has already become very efficient and several members have taken up first aid work, in which Mrs Bampfield has given valuable assistance. The boys have been inspected by the District Commissioner, Mr E. Hawker, Mr W. B. Craig (Chairman of the Local Scouts Association), Colonel Orlebar, and Lieut Bampfield, all of whom expressed their pleasure at the movement being restarted, and satisfaction at the way in which the boys preformed their various drills. The Troop attended Divine Service at the church on Aug. 4th, and also attended the Commemorative Service in the Park later in the evening. The boys listened attentively to the powerful and inspiring address given by the Vicar, and were delighted at being recognised by him at that service. We feel sure that the movement will be the means of improving the boys in many ways. The majority of the boys have bought their uniforms out of their earnings, but a few find it impossible to do this. Financial support or gifts of equipment would be welcomed by the Hon. Sec., Mr Elcock, Erme Terrace. The Scoutmaster is Mr J.W. Gard (late C.E.A., R.N.), who has secured the use of the Drill Hall for the boys for the duration of the war.
Boy Scouts
The 1st Ivybridge Scouts as we can read, formed in Ivybridge in 1918, based on the guidance of the founder of the scouting movement Robert Baden Powell.
The first Scout Master was John Gard, who was also the Secretary of the Comrades of the Great War, later to become the Royal British Legion. The Boy Scouts were permitted to use the Drill Hall located in Victoria Park at this time.
Miss Cecilia Bayly of Highlands, (who later married Captain Alexander Henry Maxwell Hyslop, a naval officer and later commander of HMS Cumberland) was the Girl Guide Captain. One of the patrol leaders was Harry Folly who was employed at Highlands as a garden boy.
In 1914 Baden-Powell created the Wolf Cubs for younger boys aged 9 to 12. However, it wasn’t until the early 1920s before Ivybridge had their first pack, formed by Mrs Patey of Stowford House, with help from Mrs Roberts, who lived next door to the White House. The Wolf Cub pack used the church room for their activities.

V.A. Hospital

In accordance with order referred to last month, the neurasthenic patients were removed, the last leaving on August 3rd, to the great regret of officers, staff, and patients. Expressions of indignation have been heard from contributors to the Hospital, who so generously responded to the urgent appeal made on behalf of those cases, and who have witnessed the excellent results attained. The Red Cross Hospitals are under orders from the Military Authorities: their instructions must be carried out. “Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi.” Preparations are being made to re-open the Hospital for the reception of general cases on or about Sept. 9th. Subscribers are kindly invited to continue their valued help on behalf of the new patients, and to exhibit the same keen interest in their welfare as for the late patients. Dr. C. E. Cooper has consented to be Medical Officer-in-Charge; the Joint War Committee, British Red Cross Society and Order of St. John of Jerusalem, will provide a Sister-in-charge. Negotiations are proceeding for the purchase of the equipment previously on loan.

 

Stowford Lodge was used as a second line Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital from December 1917 to January 1919. During that time, the 50-bed hospital had 154 Neurasthenics and 113 ordinary patients. ‘Neurasthenic’ patients were men suffering from what is termed today as post-traumatic stress disorders but at the time ‘shell shock’ – basically a severe reaction to the intense warfare and enemy bombardment endured.
Stowford Lodge was kindly lent by the owners of Stowford Paper Mill for the duration of the war or as long as required. The hospital was equipped and liberally supported by the residents of Ivybridge and the surrounding area.

Stowford Lodge

October

October

Roll of Honour

Additional name, Philip Bovey. We are very glad to have Alfred Hart at home, and to know that he was not unkindly treated while a prisoner, wounded and suffering; we sympathise much with him over the loss of his left arm. Francis Charles Bowden, N.T., A.S.C., was wounded in the foot on August 29th; he is in Hospital in England; we wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

V.A. Hospital

The Hospital was re-opened, as announced last month, on Sept. 9th, when 35 patients were admitted from various sections of the 4th Southern General Hospital, Plymouth. The number of beds has been reduced from 50 to 45, in accordance with the wishes of the Surgeon-General Inspector of Hospitals. Miss Elliot, Sister-in-Charge, sent by the War Committee, London, was welcomed a few days earlier, and it is hoped her stay may be a long one. The public is reminded that the sick and wounded soldiers are undergoing hospital treatment and are under Military discipline, which is, however, relaxed so far as is possible in keeping with the Army Council Instructions, and that the Hospital and its staff are under Military Orders; it is anticipated therefore that no inducements will be offered to the patients to infringe any regulations that may be made which would not only bring trouble upon the men, but discredit upon the Hospital. Every effort is made by the Officers to make the patients’ forced residence in Hospital as pleasant and enjoyable as possible, as is done at all Red Cross Hospitals. We are confident the parishioners and others will assist as before. An initial whist drive was held for patients and staff to inaugurate the re-opening. Grateful thanks are tendered to Admiral Sir Lewis Bayly for a gift of books and promise of fruit and vegetables; to Mr H. J. F. Lee for a second donation of £5; to the scholars of South Brent Girls’ School for 2/6 collected amongst themselves; and to the regular subscribers and donors. Some further equipment has been allocated to this Hospital from the one at Kingsbridge recently closed. “Our Day” will be celebrated at Ivybridge on Oct 5th, when the Red Cross flags, etc., will be offered for sale, and an entertainment (arranged by Mrs Mann) will be given (by kind permission of the Officer Commanding) by the Officers Cadet Corps from Membland Hall; the entertainment it is understood will be exceptionally attractive. The total proceeds are for “Our Day” Fund, which is devoted entirely to Red Cross work overseas. We have been requested to make special efforts to collect larger sums than in previous years. The need of money for Red Cross work overseas is greater than ever before. £3,672,356 was expended in 1917.

 

“Our Day”
Our Day was a Red Cross fundraising event organised for the first time in 1915, which then took place annually throughout the war. The origin of the collection was considered to be “Queen Alexandra’s Day”, when people showed support for the Queen by buying flowers. During “Our Day”, street collectors sold flags, which were ordered and supplied centrally. Flags for motor vehicles were also available. Small flags were sold for a penny and silk ones were sold for six pence. Gifts for “Our Day” were also received from overseas.
Source : redcross.org.uk

 

Membland Hall
Membland is an historic estate in the parish of Newton and Noss. The estate was purchased around 1877 by Edward Baring, senior partner of Barings Bank, who rebuilt the mansion house known as Membland Hall. Baring Brothers bank collapsed in November 1890 and was saved by the Bank of England. During World War 1 it was one of several training locations for the Officers’ Cadet Battalion. The estate was eventually broken up and great Membland Hall itself became derelict and was razed in 1928.
Officer Cadet Corps
To address the loss of officers during the war and to provide a continual supply of men who could lead and command, a new system of training officers was introduced in February 1916. The Officer Cadet unit accepted entrants who were aged 18 and over and the training course lasted four and a half months.

Harvest Thanksgiving

The church was most tastefully decorated by a few helpers. Our thanks are due to the Rev E.A. Powell, vicar of Holbeton, for his earnest exhortation. We are very glad to have Private Ellyatt as organist for our thanksgiving services; we wish him every happiness in resuming his work in London, and much regret losing him. The grapes, apples (a very good supply for a season when apples are scarce), and vegetables were taken early on Monday morning to our own Hospital, where thirty-five wounded soldiers arrived later in the day.

War Savings

The Secretary reports that from the 1st July to the 21st September, 175 certificates have been bought at the cost of £135/12/6, and the number of members is gradually increasing. A great feature has been the increase in membership and subscriptions at the Council Schools, under Miss Olive Hoare. From the formation of the Association, of 4th of August, 1916, to the 21st September, 1918, 1,407 War Savings Certificates, at the cost of £1,090/8/6, have been purchased, and War Bonds to the extent of £1,690.

Dr. Trelawny Ross

The doctor and some of his household are being treated at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, after being bitten by a dog which was probably suffering from rabies. A public subscription is being raised to assist Dr. Ross to meet the great expense he has had to incur. He has many friends in Ivybridge, and has often helped us; we now have an opportunity of helping him. The Vicar will be glad to receive and forward subscriptions, or they may be sent direct to the Hon. Sec. of the fund, the Rev. C. W. H. Sewell, St. Gabriel’s Vicarage, Plymouth.

 

The Institut Pasteur was founded in 1887 by Louis Pasteur, the famous French chemist and microbiologist. Pasteur researched bacteria, contributed to the germ theory of disease, and developed methods of sterilisation aimed at reducing pathogens in food, a process eventually called pasteurisation. Pasteur also developed a vaccine to control and treat rabies. During the First World War the Institute was to vaccinate the troops against typhoid fever, easily contracted by the soldiers who often had no choice but to drink from small streams or puddles.
Source : Wikipedia

Presentation to Private Ellyatt

A sum of £3 3s. was presented to Private Ellyatt as a small acknowledgement of his services by the following members of the congregation: – Mrs Goff, Hetty and Fred Goff, Mrs Smerdon, Miss C. Stone, Mr Rutherford, the indoor staff at Highlands, Anon. (left at the Vicarage, no name), Mr and Mrs Moysey, Mrs Winskill, Dr and Mrs Cooper, Mr and Mrs Craig, Mrs Hands, Mrs Ward, Miss Toms, Mrs Wroth, Miss Ovens, Miss Matthews, Mr and Mrs E. Hawker, Mr Crocker. A very small response, considering the many who enjoyed Private Ellyatt’s beautiful playing. The Vicar and Deaconess made private presentations to him.

 

Private Ellyatt was an accomplished organist described as “adding much to the reverence and beauty of the services”.