Manufacturing & Modernisation 1950s - 1970s

Smoking chimney - Stowford paper mill

NO MORE IVYBRIDGE SMOG!

Ivybridge residents who for years had complained of coal smoke from the Mill chimney were glad to know that the mill had turned over to oil fuel eliminating the nuisance

1954

Record Production in 1957

Stowford Mill had a record week’s production for normal time working, week ending 26th January 1957, when the mill turned out 81.25 tons gross weight, 72.5 tons saleable.

 

No.3 Machine also beat its previous best performance for a week’s production making 47.8 tons gross week ending 10th November 1956.

A new Wet End was installed on No.2 Paper Machine in 1957.

A primary effluent purification plant was installed at Stowford Paper Mill Ivybridge in 1963, to remove solid materials from the waste water, before being returned to the River Erme.

Laying pipes from the paper mill to the effluent plant

The settling tank removed large suspended solid matter by natural sedimentation.

Vacancies

Job vacancies around the late 1960s at Stowford Paper Mill.

In 1969 work began on the construction of the much needed warehouse to store finished paper products. It was sited alongside the existing finishing department to facilitate the flow of paper through to the despatch area.
Warehouse Frame being erected
Warehouse foundations.
Warehouse framework completed

The summer production shut-down of 1970 witnessed the installation of a new After Dryer section on No.3 Paper Machine. This annual two weeks around the end of July was traditionally the only time when the mill closed, apart from Christmas, so was always an intensive period for engineering and maintenance activities.

New After Dryers

Drying cylinders consist of a cast iron shell equipped with a nozzle through which steam is introduced. Inside each cylinder is a syphon pipe for removal of the condensed steam. The paper is held against the cylinder by a dryer felt which absorbs water evaporated from the web.

New After Dryers No.3
New After Dryer cylinder

Part of the £60 million Wiggins Teape Group investment in the 1970s was channelled towards Stowford Paper Mill.

Old Gatehouse and entrance to mill yard
New Gatehouse and entrance to mill yard

The company allocated £150,000 with the largest item being a new machine house roof at around £75,000. Other improvements included modifications to the main entrance and a replacement gate house.

PM2 New Roof - view from inside

The new roof for No.2 Paper Machine House

The new roof for No.3 Paper Machine House

MANUFACTURING & MODERNISATION 1950s - 1970s

NO MORE IVYBRIDGE SMOG!

 

Ivybridge residents who for years had complained of coal smoke from the Mill chimney were glad to know that the mill had turned over to oil fuel eliminating the nuisance
1954

RECORD PRODUCTION IN 1957

 

Stowford Mill had a record week’s production for normal time working, week ending 26th January 1957, when the mill turned out 81.25 tons gross weight, 72.5 tons saleable.
No.3 Machine also beat its previous best performance for a week’s production making 47.8 tons gross week ending 10th November 1956.

NEW EFFLUENT PLANT

 

A primary effluent purification plant was installed at Stowford Paper Mill Ivybridge in 1963, to remove solid materials from the waste water, before being returned to the River Erme.

NEW WAREHOUSE

 

In 1969 work began on the construction of the much needed warehouse to store finished paper products. It was sited alongside the existing finishing department to facilitate the flow of paper through to the despatch area.

NEW AFTER DRYERS

 

The summer production shut-down of 1970 witnessed the installation of a new After Dryer section on No.3 Paper Machine. This annual two weeks around the end of July was traditionally the only time when the mill closed, apart from Christmas, so was always an intensive period for engineering and maintenance activities.
 Part of the £60 million Wiggins Teape Group investment in the 1970s was channelled towards Stowford Paper Mill.
The company allocated £150,000 with the largest item being a new machine house roof at around £75,000. Other improvements included modifications to the main entrance and a replacement gate house.