Mr Lee was a prominent member of the community of Ivybridge, serving on the Urban District Council as well as being a successful businessman running a flour and provender mill in the heart of the village.
In 1918 as part of an initiative to raise money for the war effort an incentive was given to Ivybridge. If the local association was able to secure investments in War Bonds and War Savings Certificates totalling £4,500, an aeroplane would be named after the village.
The task of building a new viaduct in Ivybridge during the late nineteenth century was very labour intensive. The name for workmen constructing the railways was “navvies” and the 1891 Ivybridge census recorded a significant number of ‘workmen in temporary residence, engaged in the upgrading and double tracking of the Great Western Railway’.
In 1980, a project got underway to create a tapestry depicting England’s attempts to colonise Newfoundland, North America, the Guianas and Bermuda, between the years 1583 and 1642. One of the 24 panels was produced in Ivybridge by volunteers from the Women’s Institute.
On the morning of 11 November 1918 the ringing of the large bell in Ivybridge apprised the village that the Armistice with Germany had been signed. On 24th September 1922, a war memorial was unveiled remembering all those who had paid the ultimate sacrifice.
In April 1964, the General Post Office issued a set of stamps commemorating the quatercentenary of William Shakespeare’s birth. It comprised of a set of five denominations depicting scenes from some of his famous plays.
In 1912 the General Post Office branched out into telephone services when it bought the system from the National Telephone Company. The telephone exchange for Ivybridge was located above the Post Office and remained there until the early 1960s
Visitors to Fore Street in Ivybridge at the turn of the 20th century would be greeted by a plethora of small traditional shops ranging from butchers, bakers, grocers and hardware stores. Also, reflecting a dependence on horses, saddle and harness makers and indeed blacksmiths