spent many hours at the Plymouth Records Office where he studied the Blachford papers and unravelled many of the historical records we have today. He compiled several books including a Guide to Ivybridge in 1995 and this contains information going back to prehistoric times which are of an archaeological nature. The information in this book stems from notes he made between 1981 and 1983 when he wrote for the Ivybridge District Amenity Society’s newsletter. The development of Ivybridge in the late 1700s makes interesting reading as the village of Ivy Bridge, the name used when it was an undefined crossing of the river Erme, begins to exist and is not just a common boundary centred on the old bridge of the parishes of Harford, Cornwood, Ugborough and Ermington. It was not until 1874 that the Ivybridge Local Board was created and boundary stones were erected which defined the parish boundary of Ivybridge.
Charles Hankin Close, on the eastern side of the town, remembers the valuable contribution he made to Ivybridge.